Slip And Fall On A City-Owned Sidewalk? 4 Steps To Take Right Away


Winter is here. Depending on where you live, you could be dealing with snow and ice. If that's the case, you need to watch your footing. This is especially true with regard to sidewalks. City sidewalks can get quite slippery during the winter, especially if they're not kept clear. In most cases, city governments aren't responsible for clearing local sidewalks, but they are responsible for cleaning sidewalks around municipal buildings. If you slip and fall while walking on city-owned sidewalks, you need to take action right away.

Not sure what to do? Read the list provided below. Here are four steps you can take to protect your rights to compensation for your injuries. 

Document the Location

If you slipped and fell on a city-owned sidewalk, make sure you document the location. This is especially important with regard to ice and snow. If you're unable to take pictures, ask someone nearby to take care of that for you. For slip and fall claims, you need to prove negligence. That's where the pictures become beneficial.

Pictures will document the ice buildup, which can show negligence on the part of the city. If you can, have someone take pictures of the area for several days after your slip and fall accident. This can help show a pattern of negligence. 

Seek Medical Attention

If you suffered injuries on a city-owned sidewalk, visit an emergency room as soon as possible. A trip to the emergency room will document any injuries you have. When you sign in at the emergency room, be sure to tell them that you got injured in a slip and fall accident and ask for the correct paperwork for an injury claim. If you're seriously injured, don't try to drive yourself to the hospital. Request ambulance assistance at the scene of the incident. 

Get Legal Assistance

If you've gotten injured in a slip and fall accident on government property, get legal help right away. Filing an injury claim against a government entity isn't an easy process. To ensure success for your injury claim, you need to hire a personal injury attorney. That way, you have the right representation.

Avoid Statements

If you're dealing with injuries sustained on a city-owned sidewalk, watch who you talk to. This includes making statements to city officials. The city's insurance company could use your statements against you. That's why you should let your attorney do the talking for you.

For more information, contact a personal injury lawyer.


8 December 2022

Find Legal Help for Your Loved Ones

After my mom turned 68 years old, she started doing all kinds of strange things. She spent her monthly retirement checks on excessive amounts of food and clothing but didn't pay her rent or bills on time. At one point, she forgot who I was to her. Since my mom lived alone at an independent apartment complex, I couldn't monitor her behavior every second of the day. I brought these things to my mom's attention, but she refused to get medical help. After my mother called the fire department to report a fake fire, I took legal action. I contacted a general attorney and became my mother's power of attorney. I now had the right to monitor my mom's finances and medical care. If your loved one needs help, read my blog for information on general attorneys. You'll find tips, articles and much more to help you get started.