4 Mistakes To Avoid After Being Charged With A Criminal Offense


Being charged with a criminal offense is an event that can turn your life upside down. How you react to your arrest can make a huge difference in how your case plays out in court. If you were recently charged with a crime, avoid the following mistakes:

Speaking without Legal Representation

It is normal to be upset or panic after being charged with a criminal offense, but it is important to stay calm and collected. Never answer questions that the police ask if there is not a lawyer present who is working on your behalf. Doing so can lead to you accidentally incriminating yourself, and anything that you say can be used against you.

Consenting to a Search

It is almost always unwise to consent to a search of your home, vehicle, or computer if police do not have probable cause. If the authorities request any kind of search after you are charged with a criminal offense, it is important to speak with an attorney first. In most cases, an attorney will recommend that you do not allow any type of search if the police have not secured a search warrant that gives them the ability to do a search without your expressed consent. 

Not Hiring an Attorney

One of the biggest mistakes people make after being charged with a crime is not immediately hiring an experienced attorney. A criminal conviction can have long-lasting repercussions, so it is important to have an attorney who will represent you and build a defense so you have a better chance of not being convicted. The sooner you hire an attorney after your arrest the better-- this will give your legal counsel ample time to prepare for court and gather evidence.

Failure to Follow the Terms of Your Bail

When you are released from custody, it is essential to carefully follow the terms of your bail if yu don't want to have to deal with further legal problems. You must appear in court when ordered-- failure to do so can result in a warrant being issued and any money that was put up as bond will be forfeited. Depending on your charge, there may be other stipulations. In the case of an assault or domestic violence offense, you may be ordered to not have contact with the other party involved. After an aggravated DUI, you may be ordered to not operate a vehicle until your case has gone to court.

Click here for info on how criminal law can apply to your situation.


14 October 2016

Find Legal Help for Your Loved Ones

After my mom turned 68 years old, she started doing all kinds of strange things. She spent her monthly retirement checks on excessive amounts of food and clothing but didn't pay her rent or bills on time. At one point, she forgot who I was to her. Since my mom lived alone at an independent apartment complex, I couldn't monitor her behavior every second of the day. I brought these things to my mom's attention, but she refused to get medical help. After my mother called the fire department to report a fake fire, I took legal action. I contacted a general attorney and became my mother's power of attorney. I now had the right to monitor my mom's finances and medical care. If your loved one needs help, read my blog for information on general attorneys. You'll find tips, articles and much more to help you get started.